Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Let it Go!

I'm shaking my head, dusting off my hands, and taking deep breaths while counting to like...100.

Because I'm done - absolutely DONE - with this internet controversy that's sprung up in my Facebook feed and email inbox.

You've all seen it...well, most of you probably have. A mother wrote a blog post about girls' provocative photos, and about 1000 people wrote hateful responses.

They've accused her of "slut shaming," "endorsing the rape culture," and "confusing her sons' sexuality." She's been called creepy (for noticing the sexy photos), a hypocrite, and more.

And it WON'T STOP!

It just keeps popping up in my world.

Now, I've written about my daughters. How I want them to value themselves and how I want them to dress modestly (as much for themselves as anything). I want to teach my son, too, how to respect women and treat them well.

But we have to acknowledge that in our world...we've sold objectification as empowerment. And we've told young women that their sexiness has more to do with who they are than their talents, smarts, and very real beauty. We've made sex about instant gratification instead of love, commitment, and very real joy and pleasure

And then we complain about our kids having sex too young and the teen pregnancy rate. We bemoan the fact that they have hidden online lives, and hundreds of people feel the need to excoriate a woman who's involved in her children's online interactions.

Let's be 100% honest here.

There is a difference between a snapshot of us (women) in a swimsuit at the beach and one with a fully made up face, blown out hair and pouty lips while posing scantily clad on a bed. Come on! Who doesn't get that?

Disagree with the woman's policy if you want, but don't be disingenuous. None of us (at least the people I know) want our daughters posting THAT kind of picture.  The kind that is specifically intended to provoke a sexual thought, response, etc. in a boy/man.

Not because men can't control themselves, and are lustful beasts, but because there's a time and place for exploring our sexuality. And Facebook just isn't it.


No comments:

Post a Comment