Friday, August 9, 2013

Raising People

I shook my head when I read yet another article that was so stinkin' heartfelt and lovey-dovey about being a mom that I wanted to gag.

I LOVE MY CHILDREN!


But....

I am not their friend.

I am not going to cater to their every whim.

I am not going to let them believe that the world revolves around them. Because (surprise!), it doesn't.

My general philosophy is that I need to raise my children to be people that others can stand to be around.

So....people who keep their commitments, people who are kind, and on time. People who are respectful and strong in their convictions.Who know how to conduct themselves with dignity and decorum in the public sphere. (That last one is courtesy of my Mom!)

That doesn't mean I crush what makes them special - it means that they understand there's a time and place for everything. There's opportunities to play and be as wild as kids can be. And there are times when they need to be helpful or quiet or attentive.

I don't need my children to like me. In fact, I'm pretty sure that in my role as their PARENT they will sometimes think they hate me. Shoot, they may actually hate me. But that doesn't relieve me of my God Given Responsibilities to them. I'm not going to pussyfoot around my own children.

(stepping off soapbox now)

Bye-bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment