Thursday, November 8, 2012

Free & Brave, Maybe...

When you love someone enough, they become woven into the very fabric of who you are.

But people are not all we love - and they are not all that make us. For me, Texas is woven into my soul. The size, the heat, and the pines. It is a magnificent place - and it has created within me an expanse and a spirit that relishes the larger than life.

But Texas is part of a larger idea. One of the largest ideas.

The United States of America.

Far from perfect, with a history that is dotted with both sin and extravagant goodness, it is a country built unlike any other...and has lifted up people of indeterminate origin or beginnings to unbelievable heights. It has both enslaved and freed people - and has struggled to live up to the ideals upon which it is based. Freedom, Opportunity, Inherent Equality

I am unaffiliated with any political party. I do not identify myself as Republican any more than I would call myself a Democrat - so please do no attack or dispute what I am about to say on such flimsy grounds.


I am afraid that my country, whose greatness I know and love, is changing into something foreign and disappointing to me.

I have watched my country, my people, for years. I have been saddened by our inability to face truths and make hard decisions. I have hurt as I realized that there are few, if any, that I believe care more about our country's welfare than about their own. Because what such attitudes fail to realize is that - if our country fails - so will we. If it fails to grow economically, so will our fortunes. If it fails to keep the rule of law, we lose our security.

And if it withdraws its presence and support in the world community, the countries suddenly jockeying for position on the world stage would sacrifice countless people to secure their place. People that we protect.

It has become popular, it seems, to denigrate the country in which we live. To put down it's origins, to define it only by it's mistakes. To ridicule it. Our country is far from perfect - I could list the features I find most irritating quickly and succinctly. No doubt you could, too.

But, what I do know is this: we are fortunate to live where we do. We are blessed to be able to express our faith and opinions freely. We are obscenely unaware of what we have been given - and what has been entrusted to us.

Consider our country - in it's entirety. Consider what you can contribute to make it a better place, and not what it can do for you.

"If we can but prevent the government from wasting the labours of the people, under the pretence of taking care of them, they must become happy."

~ Thomas Jefferson



No comments:

Post a Comment