Monday, October 1, 2012

October

National Pregnancy & Infant Loss Awareness Month was founded by Ronald Reagan in 1988. He spoke of how there is no word - no identifier - for a parent who has lost a child. They are not an orphan, widower, widow, etc...

He dedicated October as a month to recognize these losses, ensure that support systems are in place and utilized, and to inform both bereaved parents and the public about the issue.

Ultimately, October 15 became the day the child loss community claimed. At 7 p.m., across the world, parents light candles for the children they have lost. In some communities, candle lighting ceremonies and balloon releases are organized, so that all those parents can come together. There are, across our nation, Walks to Remember. Parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles - they all come. And they walk through communities and across busy streets in support of each other and in a heartbreaking effort to make the world see them and their children.

And so October is a special month for us - it is a chance to participate (if we can) in the community to which we never thought we'd belong. It is also an opportunity to show you, our friends and family, how important each of these children are.

And last, but certainly not least....October is a month of celebration. Because right in the middle of the month we celebrate the birth of our first child, Dancer. And I'll honor that as well.

So, to kick off National Pregnancy & Infant Loss Awareness Month - I'm going to ask for a couple of things.

I'm going to ask you to watch this:  Why the Still Project is Important to Me

I'm going to ask that you please "Like" The STILL Project on Facebook to spread the word about this awesome idea!

And then, I'm going to ask that you be with me through this month, as I look for ways to honor the sons and daughters I've lost as well as celebrate the ones I have with me.


No comments:

Post a Comment